Sunday, February 24, 2013

WEEK 7 Reading Across Media and Formats: "Smile" by Raina Telgemeier



Telgemeier, Raina. GRAPHIX, 2010.
Pages [232p.] [$9.95] ISBN [0545132053]

From Goodreads: "From the artist of BSC Graphix comes this humorous coming-of-age true story about the dental drama that ensues after a trip-and-fall mishap.

Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly."


Raina Telgemeier is the author of a number of BSC GRAPHIX graphic novels including, but not limited to, SMILE, DRAMA, KRISTY'S GREAT IDEA, and AGNES QUILL: AN ANTHOLOGY OF MYSTERY. SMILE is a standalone, based upon Telgemeier's childhood. As Telgemeier writes, "It's all true. I was in sixth grade when I fell and knocked out my teeth, and I have been dealing with the consequences ever since. I had braces, a lot of surgery, and a lot of awkward smiles as a result. The comic SMILE was born out of a need to get the whole experience down on paper, since I spent so much time telling people about it" (Source). Smile was a 2010 New York Times Book Review Editor's Choice, a Kirkus Reviews Best Book of 2010, a 2011 ALA Notable Children's Book, a 2011 YALSA Top 10 Great Graphic Novels for Teens pick, and a Children's Choice Book Award Finalist (Source).

Admittedly I had never thought that I would read a graphic novel, however, after having finished this I am kicking myself for having waited so long to do so. I believe that, while quite humorous, the content of the story is one in which many readers can relate to (I personally can having experienced a similar situation to Raina when I was also in grade six). I wish that I had had this novel at that time to reassure me that I was not alone during such a difficult and awkward time in my life.

I believe that this novel will appeal to readers of all ages with all that it has to offer- enchanting and appealing illustrations, the narrative which flows easily, relateable characters and situations, humor, and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment